Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crockpot Oatmeal Experiment



This was my first attempt at making oatmeal in the crock pot. I typically use the crock pot two to three times per week. I use one of those small ones that you always see at the grocery store for under ten bucks. It's worth every penny. It's perfect for beans, carne guisada, chicken soup, whatever cooks slow and long, really. So I figured why not oatmeal, right? The night before I placed one cup of old fashioned oatmeal, three cups of water, one cup of milk (you can use half and half, cream, I wonder if you can use soy milk or almond milk? Let me know if you try it with soy or any other non-dairy product). I also added some brown sugar (I was out of maple syrup. I'm sure you could use honey too. Yum), a pinch of salt, a dash of cinnamon, and one chopped apple. I set it on low for the next 8 hours. The result is very different than the oatmeal your probably used to. If you don't like the chewiness of traditionally made oatmeal this may make for a nice alternative.

I checked it as soon as I woke up (about 6:30am) and it was really soupy. Oh but it smelled wonderful. I expected the apple to disintegrate but I could still see good sized pieces in there. I turned it off and left it open as I continued to get ready for going out in public. Brushed my teeth, hair, put on pants...that sort of stuff. Then I saw to it that my seven year old brushed her teeth and hair, got dressed etc. By the time I was ready for my breakfast the temperature and texture was perfect. It thickened up nicely and was so creamy. As you can see I topped it with some fresh blueberries and chopped almonds. I also added a dash of milk because that's just how I roll. All in all I would say that this experiment was a success. It's hassle free, affordable, and fills you up in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment